Friday, October 7, 2016

Poetry Response #3

Kirin Tate 
Ms. Locano 
AP Lit 
6 October 2016 
Poetry Response #3 - Don't Change On My Account 
     Shel Silverstein’s poem “Don't Change On My Account” is probably one of many poems by him 
that I love. Growing up I read so many poems by Shel Silverstein and didn't even know. I think that's why I'm in love with poems that rhyme so much because, I've grown up reading his poems. Almost all of his poems are super relatable and make me laugh. This poem in particular made me laugh because if it didn't have a title already the title would be “Kirin”. When I read the title of this poem I thought for sure that it was going to be sentimental, and about why you shouldn't change your personality for others. In the poem it even says “whatever you are is all okay” (line 9). I was reading and thought “wow this is such an inspiring poem.” The narrator tells the reader “If you're fat, that's fine with me. // If you're skinny let it be.” (Line 3,4) I was thinking the total opposite of what the poem actually was, and boy was I in for a surprise. 
     When I finally read the last line of the poem, I bust out laughing. The way the reader is lead on to believe something completely different from the actual meaning of the poem is so funny to me. Silverstein uses a great shift right at the end of the poem. He set the mood and then totally switched it up. My favorite line, if it wasn't, obvious already is “I don't like you anyway.” (Line 10). That line made this one of my all time favorite poems. I do actually like people but sometimes that is exactly how I feel. There is always a Shel Silverstein poem to express my mood, or make me laugh. That's why he's one of my favorite poets. 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice response miss krirn, the poet you wrote about seems like simple down-to-earth guy. I might have to check him out now.

    ReplyDelete