Friday, October 7, 2016

Interchanges

Shaylia Smith
Ms. Locano
Ap Literature-1        
7 October 2016

                                                         Interchanges

     Interchanges by Yannis Ritsos is an extraordinary poem that has depth to it. It's a very simple poem which is one of the main reasons why I like it. It's simplicity has depth to it and it intrigues me a lot. It is very evident that she's the author of the poem, not the speaker.This short poem uses syntax, tone and imagery to help build the elements of this perfect poem.

      Ritsos uses the literary device syntax to his/her advantage. Her wordplay that helps the poem be unique in it's own way is beautiful. "If only you knew how beautiful your mouth is / you would kiss me on the eyes that I might not see you." lines (9-10). What the last stanza of the poem is expressing the desire of another person. It has a meaning of hope and I can relate to that. I believe that everyone should have hope. 

    The tone of this story is so calming. It really brings out the simplicity and bountifulness of the poem. The poem uses tone all throughout the poem and it gives off a vibe that I think is good to have and that I like. "They took the plough to the field, / they brought the field into the house— / an endless interchange shaped / the meaning of things." lines (1-4). The first stanza of the poem gives off an aura that is spread throughout the poem. The tone is so natural. I really enjoy the tone because it's easy to understand. I also noticed that Ritsos used a hyphen as an structural shift to show that the poem was about to get more into depth.

      Imagery in a poem is the best thing ever. It's better for me as a reader to be able to picture what the author is trying to write and what the speaker is trying to say. Imagery in this poem is an important element to notice and understand. "The woman changed places with the swallow, / she sat in the swallow’s nest on the roof and warbled. / The swallow sat at the woman’s loom and wove / stars, birds, flowers, fishing boats, and fish." lines (5-8). This stanza is an example of how important imagery is. This stanza helps readers understand what's going on in the story, what's happening, and etc.. Knowing what the setting was like and what the people in the poem are doing is very important. I like how Ritsos made sure to include some.


     This poem that is beautifully written by Ritsos is a poem that stands out. It stands out to me in a beautiful antique type of way. It embodies simplicity, is natural and is full of hope and I couldn't help but like it. It embodies all of the qualities and elements that is great for any poem and reader.



Interchanges by Yannis Ritsos

3 comments:

  1. Great job shaylia you did a great job selecting devices and noticing those devices your self and you have actually convinced me to read the poem so thank you very much that was a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job shaylia you did a great job selecting devices and noticing those devices your self and you have actually convinced me to read the poem so thank you very much that was a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As another english student this helped me out with understanding the poem. One thing that I think you glossed over. Yannis Ritsos is not a women.

    ReplyDelete