Thursday, October 6, 2016

Poetry Response #3

La'Coriona Walker
Mrs. Locano
AP Literature- 4
6 October 2016

Poetry Response #3 -The Mother



                Gwendolyn Brooks poem “The Mother”, really opened my eyes to a lot. For starters what’s being said in this poem is quite sad, here you have the speaker telling you the perks of abortions and basically how the situation is looked upon on when woman decide to have abortions. I personally like this poem because it speaks so many volumes. Brooks knew exactly what she was doing when she decided to write this poem, it’s such an eye opening. Personally I think it would have people reconsidering abortions simply because they’re taking away opportunities that never got a chance. The speaker kinds of plays with the people’s conscious by these lines Abortions will not let you forget /You will remember the children you got that you did not get” (1-2). So here you have this powerful line stating how once you get an abortion it’s something that sticks with you forever also not to mention how you conceived this child but yet didn’t even give it a chance on living to see what it would of became.

                Honestly out of Brooks poems this one is the one that I read more than once to really get the gist of it, I didn’t understand it completely until I read it a 3rd time. That’s when I realized what an amazing poem this was and how she put so much effort into it. The speaker indeed makes it emotional even touching my heart when in line 18 how they say, “If I stole your births and your names/”, not only did this line give me chills but just really had me thinking thoroughly on this topic, if our parents gave us a chance why not give this innocent baby a chance as well? If you didn’t want the baby, why not protect yourself more? I defiantly thought about these things when I read the poem, I just love how Brooks never once took it upon herself to bash anyone that had a abortion/ wanted to consider it but just gave them something to really think about when they want to do it. Brooks shows that in the end whether you do it or not at the end of the day you’re the mother and this lives on your conscious but what I got from this poem is, is it really worth taking a baby’s life before it begins.. Just a food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment