Thursday, October 6, 2016

   AP LIT(1st)
Poetry Response 3
      “If I Were Paul” by Mark Jarman is a religious poem. In the poem, the speaker is unknown but speaks as if they were Paul from the biblical story. The beginning of the stanzas begin with the word “consider” , making us think about the beauty of our lives. I interpreted this poem as Paul’s message when he sent the letter out to various churches. I gathered this from the last lines of the second stanza. “I send you this not knowing if you will receive it, or if having received it, / you will read it, or if / having read it, you will know that it contains my blessing.”(40-42). This poem is very dear to my heart especially since my family is deeply religious and I am familiar with the story of Paul.
     One line that resonated with me was in the eighth stanza. The lines read, “Bless each other with the heart and soul, the hand and eye, the head and / foot, the lips, tongue,”(33-34). This drew me in because it was what I was taught growing up. This is a lesson I still hold dearly today even if I do question my religion sometimes. Bless one another even if you are feuding, fighting, or scrapping. Bless and love with every fiber of your being because what you give is what you get. Love and don’t let go until the cows come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment