Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Desmond Barber Poetry response #2

            In the poem " Dreams" by Langston Hughes, he focuses on a major issue that a lot of people have yet to discover which is the power of a dream.

           I honestly feel like this particular poem is talking to me especially when the speaker says "Hold fast to dreams / For if dreams die / Life us a broken-winged bird / that cannot fly." (1-4). To me this means that no matter what I have to hold on to my dreams, for if I don't there will be nothing to keep me going and striving for what I want. Thats basically what this poem is about. In lines 5-8, the speaker states, "Hold fast to dreams / For when dreams go / Life is a barren field / Frozen in snow." This states that without a dream life is colder than what it's made out to be.  A dream sets a system in your mind, it sets a goal that you, yourself have planned to strive for. 

         Although this poem was very short. It had a gigantic meaning, of striving for something or working for something that has a meaning to you. I think thats why he titled his poem "Dream"; to all in all tell us never to stop dreaming. I really enjoyed that poem out of every poem I've read thus far.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so gland that you really enjoyed this poem. I also enjoy Langston Hughes poetry. He has another poem titled "Harlem" this is a lot like "Dreams". Have you ever read it?

    ReplyDelete