Tuesday, September 27, 2016

James Moseley Poetry Response #2

James Moseley
Mrs. Locano
A.P. Literature
27 September 2016
My Emotional Feelings about Poetry

            "Apparently with no surprise" is a poem made from Emiley Dickson in the book "Sound and Sense". Although the poem may be short at first glance, it is just enough to fully grasp the meaning of the poem. It allows those with short a retention to be able to grasp the meaning of the poem itself. After reading Dicksons poem a few times I was able to connect to it and find a deeper meaning.
            The part of Dicksons poem that I was able to connect to is when the speaker says, " The Frost beheads it at its play- / In accidental power- / The blond Assassin passes on-" (3-5). Honestly, these lines remind me of one of my favorite games, Assassins Creed. But, I connected with these lines because there are times in which you may kill or destroy something on accident with your own power. If you have a lot of power you want to be delicate with a lot of things. I have had times when I killed bugs or broke something by exerting too much power when I was only trying to save or fix it. Power is something that should not be toyed with.You need to be careful with the power you have before it is too late. Power is more of a burden than a gift.
            Overall, I enjoyed Dicksons poem for several different reasons. The first reason is the dark tone that it gives off. I tend to like things that are a bit dark and foreboding. The second reason I liked this poem is because it is short and I was able to stay focused throughout it and be able to derive a deeper meaning from it. The third and final reason why I enjoyed the poem is that I made a deep connection in line 6 and 7 " The Sun proceeds unmoved / To measure off another day". This line means to me that even if I were to kill or destroy something, the world, even better yet, the Universe, would remain unchanged and not even flinch at the act I committed.    

1 comment:

  1. The lines that you reference that you connect to, 6 & 7, also remind me a lot of the second novel we will read as a class. Ernest Hemingway is very much a believer in the lack of importance of man in the world.

    ReplyDelete