Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Poetry response #2

In the poem "A study of reading habits" By Phillip Larkin the speaker tells a story about how school helped him in many aspects rather applied academically or socially. Through out the poem Larkin states how his school career has changed as he became older. In this poem Larkin used an abundance of Imagery asa literally device in his poem for example; "Later, with inch-thick specs,/ Evil was just my lark." (lines 7-8) he uses very descriptive words to give an outlook or an image in your head. Also I noticed a meaning shift during line 13, that states "don't read much now: the dude/ who lets the girl down before/ the hero arrives,..." here the poems shifts from how his school life was to how he ended up applying it to his adult life. Which I believe this is also a very important line in the poem. I feel as if the author's purpose was to get the reader to think about his school life and how it applied to their adult lives allowing their minds to drift off into wherever they'd like to go. that was what mine did and how it would apply to my adult life considering my not an adult as of yet.

1 comment:

  1. La'Coriona also responded to this poem and I commented to her that I've always enjoyed this poem, yet I hope to never feel as the speaker does in the last stanza. I hope you do not feel as the speaker does when you are an adult either!

    ReplyDelete