Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Kyla Scott
Ms.Locano
AP Literature
5 October 2016 

Poetry Response 
Analysis #2
"Still I Rise"
Maya Angelou 

                 Maya Angelou "Still I Rise" is a poem about strength, endurance, and affirmation. In this poem you can clearly see signs of rejection and racism, for example in the first stanza can be connected to slavery "You may write me down in history/ With your bitter, twisted lines./ You may trod me in the very dirt/ But still, like dust, I'll rise.(lines1-4) consist of the history of slaves in America that has been contolled by whites. Also Angelou's theme of perseverance is present in these lines with the use of the word "dust". Dust has often been referred to as abinding, something that lasts forever.
               The second stanza continues with the speakers tone "Why are you beset with gloom?/ Cause I walk like I've got oil wells/ Pumping in my living room." ( Lines 6-8) the speaker states that they refused to be walked all over on, and while the listener may be expecting her to be broken. The speaker describes their strength and defiance are clear. 
              Angelou also provides the speak of oppression and violence in the following lines "Did you want to see me broken?/ Bowed head and lowered eyes?/ Shoulders falling down like teardrops/ Weakened by my soulful cries" ( lines 13-16) and also in the stanzas " You may shoot me with your words./ You may cut me with your eyes./ You may kill me with your hatefulness./ But still, like air, I'll rise." (Lines 21-24) at this part of the poem we hear a more spiritual tone in the speakers voice. The speaker describes that not even death will destroy their presence.
               I like how the poem transforms itself. The message Angelou was going for was that nothing will destroy someone's will. Her techniques and structural decisions in this poem makes the poem powerful and unique. She uses useful and appropriate words to make the theme clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment