Monday, September 26, 2016

The Truth About Poetry Poetry Response #2

The Truth About Poetry

"Ars Poetica" by Archibald MacLeish is a wonderful poem. In the poem MacLeish explores the world’s perspective on poetry and how it is not true. The poem is made up of 12 short stanzas. In these lines the speaker made a lot of sense. This poem actually gives me a better understanding of poetry. In my opinion this poem means poetry does not always have to have a meaning or a purpose. Sometimes a poem is literally exactly what is says, without a deeper meaning.

In stanza 8 lines 1 & 2 the speaker says “A poem should be equal to: / Not true.” I feel this is the most powerful lines within the whole poem because it shows how someone is trying to put a label on a poem, quickly correcting it by saying that is not true you don’t have to believe that.

I’m one of the people in this world that thought the purpose of a poem was to give this life changing message, which now I know is not true.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm always reminded of the lesson in chapter 1 about reading poetry for enjoyment and not trying to analyze everything. I love to do that, too bad it's the exact opposite of our focus in AP Lit, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete