Tuesday, September 27, 2016

“Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening” Response

“Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening” Response
The poem I chose is Robert Frost’s “Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening,” from chapter nine. I think this poem is very relevant and kids from my generation should read it. In lines 15 and 16 the speaker said, “And miles to go before I sleep, / And miles to go before I sleep.” These lines caught my attention because he repeated the same line twice so I figured that there was a deeper meaning. Frost wanted these particular lines to stand out for the reader. The deeper meaning in this poem is that you should take the time to appreciate the little things in life. This is noticeable in lines 3 and 4 which say, “He will not see me stopping here / To watch his woods fill up with snow.
I love the way Frost put such a deep meaning in so few lines. I chose this poem because it is very relatable. The speaker in the story is much like me continuing on his way considering that he had promises to keep. I too would have stopped to watched the snow and would have not rushed home to things that can be done later. Also I can relate because the speaker in this poem is sensitive.

1 comment:

  1. Frost is one of my favorite poets. I often struggle with the idea you reference of "rushing" versus "stopping". I used to keep a poem by Marie Howe titled "Hurry" on my fridge to remind me of how important "stopping" is. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete